Wednesday, October 15, 2008

This is a poem I like. It is by Shel Silverstein

"Barnabur Browning
Was scared of drowning
So he never would swim
Or get in a boat
Or take a bath
Or cross a moat
He just sat day and night
With his door locked tight
And the windows nailed down,
Shaking with fear
That a wave might appear,
And cried so many tears
That he filled up the room
And he drowned.

I like it because it reminds us to face our fears. If we let fear rule we are never happy. I try to to that--I try to face my big fears and not let them rule my life. There are some little fears like bees and spiders that I have not quite got rid of -in fact I have not got rid of them at all! Why are we more courageous about facing the big stuff than the little stuff? Maybe because the little stuff doesn't matter as much.

1 comment:

PB and JS said...

Well I have faced the fear of hospitals when I had my children, but I don't think I will ever talk in church. I just don't see why I need to face that fear. Will talking in church make my life better? Doubt it. I have to kill spiders sometimes, only if they are small. They still make my heart race, but I can't let them get my children, right!