Wednesday, April 7, 2010

This is my school story. I have returned to BYU to get my degree. I am a school disaster, but I thought it would be a good idea if I graduated before I die. I have been doing pretty well in the BGS program until a few months ago. I had to take a finance class. It had icky stuff like Algebra, formulas, financial calculators, equations, and on and on. I muddled through it. There were three tests. Each time I would have to go to the testing center, I would be told each time that I could have two pieces of scrap paper and the test was timed. I would completely freak out and loose my cool. I would go into a cold sweat right there in the testing center (I remind you I am a 61 year old grandma) I would have a panic attack. My mind would freeze. I would break my pencil lead. The testing center police boy at the front of the room would look at me with discust.
Finally I finished all my assigments and it was time to take the final. I waited and waited to call an order it. I finally called and told the testing center I was ready to take it. I was so afraid that I would just never go to take it. I would study the material and then forget it the next day. I was really psychologically ill when it came to any kind of math. After you order a test, you only have 30 days to take it. Pretty soon I realized that is had probably been 30 days. I called the testing center and they told me I had until April 5th to take the test. It got to be April 5th and I just couldn't quite make myself go take it. I called them up and they said they would hold it for one more day. April 6th arrived. I knew it was do or die. I was thinking I might as well just quit school. Finally my common scense popped out and I started to think what is the worse that can happen if I flunk the test. I would just have to take the class over. So I just went and took the test. I prayed. I prayed that I could stay calm and collected. I went checked in. The police at the testing center (children they are ) told me that I could have only one piece of scratch paper.
I sat down. Calmed myself and started the test. I could answer quite a few of the problems. I was amazed. There were some that I just didn't know the answer so I tried to pick the most logical answer from my experience. Finally I finished. I turned it in and ran out of the testing center. I didn't even wait to see my score. I got to my car, locked the door, logged into my class on my I-phone and looked at my grade. At first I saw this f and thought will the worst case has happened. Then I realized the f stood for final and my score was 84. I had passed. It was amazing. All that fear for nothing. I thanked Heavenly Father for helping me and drove home elated. That is my test story! But this I know for sure-that is the last class with algebra in it that I will ever have to take in my life.

No comments: